Starting in August [now suspended until 2023] we will run River Swims from the West Midlands Show ground. Sessions will run through August and into September for as long as weather and water conditions allow. This gives competent swimmers who are SYTri full members, Swim Club members the chance to have an Open Water swim, and those who have entered the Shrewsbury Triathlon the chance to experience the swim course before race day.
You will find the swim start location at the back left hand corner of the showground.
To ensure the safety of swimmers the river water will be tested on the day of each session and therefore may be subject to late cancellation if water quality is not to required standards - so please keep an eye on your email for notifications.
If you are new to open water swimming there are always experienced open water swim coaches on hand to give you advice if your require it. But this is not a learn to swim session.
To take part in this session you need to be a SYTri club member, a member of our Swim Club, or to have entered the 2022 Shrewsbury Triathlon.
WHAT YOU NEED
The following items are compulsory for this session.
- Wetsuit - you must bring your own
- Swim Cap (Brightly coloured) - you must bring your own
- Goggles you must bring your own
There is a limit on numbers - 40 at the moment. You need to book and pay for your session in advance via the club website. Bookings open at 5.00pm on the Wednesday before and close 10mins after the session start time.
You can check availability and book your place here (this link takes you to an external website). If you later find you cannot attend please try to cancel your place (using the link in your booking confirmation email) so that someone else can attend. You will receive a refund of 50% of the fee you pay to the club (there is no refund of the booking fee).
Covid-19 is still with us. Before attending club training sessions participants should undertake a pre-session symptom check for any infectious illness and not attend if unwell. Please read the information in the following forms before you attend the session. You will need to confirm that you have read and understand them and that you are fit and healthy to take part in the session when you book your place.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
You are required to sign in where you will be allocated safety number. Once signed in get changed into your wetsuit and be ready for the safety briefing.
The safety briefing for this session starts at 18.30pm prompt and is compulsory for all participants.
DO NOT ENTER THE WATER UNTIL YOU HAVE SIGNED IN & BEEN ALLOCATED A SAFETY NUMBER
Before each session you attend
Do not leave home to participate in any club or group activity if:-
- you, or someone you live with, has any symptoms of Covid-19, the main symptoms being - high temperature, new continuous cough, loss of or change of taste or smell
- you have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
- or you are required to quarantine due to travel
NHS and Public Health England guidance on self-isolation can be found here.
The latest Government guidance can be seen here
It is your responsibility to be sufficiently fit and healthy to participate in any swim/run/bike activity. You should think about any pre-existing medical conditions that you may have, and if in any doubt, you should not participate.
You will be asked to confirm your Health Assessment Questions when you book a session.
Your name, contact phone number, and the dates and times of the sessions you have attended will be retained by SyTri for up to 21 days and and shared with the NHS test and Trace programme if they request it.
At All Sessions
- please follow instructions from coaches/session lead and any signs/instructions at the venue
- bring a face mask - you may need to wear it at indoor venues
- wash/sanitise your hands regularly
- follow safe practice while travelling to and from activities
- Can we encourage you to travel to sessions by running/walking/cycling? as well as the Covid guidance it's more environmentally friendly.
- bring you own food/drinks (do not share with anyone) and preferably your own equipment if you have it
- be prepared to go home in your training kit - you may not be able to change at the venue
Please also ensure that you read the following documents before you attend the session.